- Find Manuscripts/
- Online Exhibitions
- Horatio Alger, Jr. Collection
- Recent Acquisitions
- Events Calendar
- Rare Books LibGuide
- Rare Books Links
- Confessions of A Curator: The RBSC Blog
- Contact Us
- Digital & Special Collections
- NIU Libraries Home
- Rare Books & Special Collections Home
Southeast Asia Collection
We continually add materials to the Southeast Asia Special Collection. If you would like to donate materials to this collection, please contact Lynne Thomas, the Curator of Special Collections, or Hao Phan, the Southeast Asia Curator.
Nearly all of our materials for this collection are located in our online catalog. Most of our non-cataloged items, such as the Donn V. Hart papers, have finding aids available. This collection is the portion of the larger Donn V. Hart Southeast Asia Collection, including many types of Southeast Asia-related materials, such as original manuscripts, field notes, photo albums, original art work, rare books, large and expensive folios, and palm-leaf manuscripts, that are not suitable for circulation. There are also maps of various places in Southeast Asia from the 1500s through the 1800s in the Map Special Collection.
We hold a collection of Ethel D. Nurge's anthropological fieldnotes, village census materials, and photographs from the "Guinhangdan" Village, Leyte, Philippines and Indonesia from 1955-56 and 1975-76. A finding aid for this collection is not yet available, but the collection itself can be made available to visitors upon request.
We also hold a collection of materials related to human rights, socially responsible investing, and peaceful activism about Burma and the Philippines collected by Don Erickson, the former leader of Synapses Project Burma. The .pdf inventory of the collection can be found here. It requires the free Adobe Acrobat Reader Plug-in which can be downloaded at the Adobe site. This collection supplements extensive materials on the Philippines collected by Synapses held in a vertical file in the office of the Donn V. Hart Southeast Asian Collection at Founders Memorial Library.
Southeast Asia Collection Links
- Center for Burma Studies Northern Illinois University
- Center for Southeast Asian Studies Northern Illinois University
- Donn V. Hart papers
- Lao Digitized Palm-Leaf Manuscript
- Online Resources for Southeast Asia and the Donn V. Hart Southeast Asia Collection Northern Illinois University Libraries
- Palm-leaf Manuscripts in Lao
- SeaSite Northern Illinois University
- Tai Dehong Mulberry Manuscript
- Southeast Asia Digital Library