Using the NIU Music Library -- Services and Circulation Policies
Services andCirculation Policies
The Music Library staff is available to assist you with charging materials in and out of the library. You may ask for reference assistance from the circulation desk staff. At staff discretion, you may be assisted or referred to the librarian for assistance. Michael Duffy, Music Librarian, is available to provide reference assistance by appointment or referral. He can be reached by phone at 753-9839 or by email at email@example.com. The Music Librarian is also available to provide instruction in the use of the library to individuals or to groups by appointment.
If you can not find the materials you seek at the NIU Music Library or elsewhere in the NIU Libraries, you are advised to try interlibrary loan.
Materials in the Northern Illinois University Libraries are provided primarily for the benefit of the members of the University community. However, all legal residents of the state of Illinois are welcome to use the libraries' resources. Courtesy cards, which permit those not affiliated with the University to borrow materials, can be obtained at the Circulation Desk on the main floor of Founders Memorial Library. Persons affiliated with the University need only present their NIU identification to borrow materials.
1. Music scores with call numbers beginning with M1, M2, or M3 circulate to faculty and graduate students for 3 days; undergraduate students may use them only in the library. All other music scores (M4 and up) circulate for 4 weeks to undergraduate students and 16 weeks to faculty and graduate students.
2. Books (call numbers beginning with ML or MT) circulate for 4 weeks to undergraduate students and 16 weeks to faculty and graduate students.
3. Reference books (identified by the prefix MUR or MUS REF above the call number) may be used only in the library. Faculty may charge them out only by special arrangement with the Music Librarian.
4. Periodicals (both current issues and bound back issues) circulate to faculty for 4 days; students may use them only in the library.
5. Phonodiscs ("LPs" or analog discs), cassettes, and reel-to-reel tapes (call numbers beginning with DISC, CASSETTE, or TAPE) circulate for 2 weeks to students and faculty.
6. Compact discs (call numbers beginning with CDISC) circulate to faculty and graduate students for 2 weeks; undergraduate students may use them only in the library.
7. Reserve materials may be used only in the library. We reserve the right to limit the number of items that may be used at once, as well as the amount of time items may be used.
A faculty member or graduate assistant may charge out items on reserve for his or her own class for use outside the library.
NIU performance tapes and cassettes are considered reserve material. Headphones (needed for use with library audio equipment) are also circulated on a reserve basis.
8. Microforms may be used only in the library. However, if you need to make a paper copy of a microform, it can be charged out for a limited period; self-service reader/printers are available at Founders Memorial Library. You must leave your identification at the circulation desk when charging out microforms.
Items charged out can be renewed for an equivalent period unless another borrower has requested the item. Renewals can be made in person or on Illinet Online (from the black bar across the top of the screen,select My Account, then enter your Library Borrower ID and Last Name and click Login).
All library materials which are charged out are subject to recall for other users. When an item is recalled, a recall notice is mailed to the original borrower, and the due date is usually moved ahead. If you need an item which is charged out, you can ask for a recall at the circulation desk.
Borrowers may be subject to overdue fines, damaged book charges, and lost books charges for library materials that they check out. After two overdue notices are mailed, an item is considered lost and the borrower is billed $50.00 or the cost per item, whichever is greater.
Borrowing privileges are not transferable; do not loan your identification card to others. You are responsible for all items charged out to your identification number. If you charge out a set of chamber music parts and loan the parts to members of your ensemble, you are still responsible for the return of the complete set of parts! A set of parts is not considered returned unless the complete set is returned.
We reserve the right to inspect all cases, bags, parcels, etc., to assure that all library materials are properly charged out.
Theft or mutilation of library materials or property is a criminal offense subject to disciplinary action by NIU and/or criminal prosecution under state laws.
Library circulation records are confidential; please do not ask us to release the names of borrowers. If you need an item that is charged out, we can recall it for you.
Northern Illinois University Music Library, DeKalb, IL 60115 (815) 753-1426