Southeast Asian Studies
Southeast Asian Studies Librarian: Hao Phan
Founders Memorial 497
|Core Databases||Related Databases||General Databases||Electronic Ejournals||Web Resources||List of All Databases|
The Vertical Files of Southeast Asia Library Resources
Among the resources available in the Southeast Asia Collection at NIU Libraries are a number of "vertical files" containing information not available on the periodicals shelf or the NIU Online Catalog. Essentially these are ephemeral materials that are kept in paper folders and filed in the cabinets located in the office of the Southeast Asia Assistant's office. The resources are accessible to the public on a walk-in only basis. The materials in the "vertical files" pertain to all the countries in Southeast Asia, and include newsletters, pamphlets, notes, memos, journals (less than 10 issues), and other ephemeral publications. In addition to the list of materials, images of the journal covers available in the "vertical files" can also be viewed here.
For more information regarding access to the "vertical files" please contact Jessica Williams, Southeast Asia Collection Assistant, room 496, Founders Memorial Library, phone: 815-753-1819, email at email@example.com
- Encyclopedia of American Immigration - The database aims to provide a comprehensive picture of the role of immigration in American history and up-to-date perspectives on contemporary immigration.
- Chronicle of Higher Education - The Chronicle provides well-researched and thoughtful analyses of current issues in higher education.
- Web of Science - The database allows access to both the Science and Social Sciences Citation Indexes. One can locate not only specific articles, but more important explore how specific articles have been treated by the literature in their respective fields. The backfile extends to 1965. Tutorial - Tutorial
- Chicago Manual of Style Online, 15th & 16th editions - This new edition of the venerable guide to the preparation of manuscripts, articles, and papers has been thoroughly overhauled and updated to reflect the new realities of digital texts and electronic publishing.
- Book Review Index Plus - The database offers a comprehensive guide to book reviews that includes more than 5 million review citations from thousands of publications. Coverage is 1965 to the present.
- ebrary Academic Complete - This electronic book package includes more than 70,000 individual texts covering a broad array of academic disciplines. The database boasts a distinguished set of publishers including such university presses as Oxford, Cambridge, Princeton, Harvard, etc. The content of the database is well paired with an advanced set of tools that allows for expansive searching capabilities, and manipulation and storage of text.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts - CSA Worldwide Political Science Abstracts is building on the merged backfiles of Political Science Abstracts, published by IFI/ Plenum, 1975-2000, and ABC POL SCI, published by ABC-CLIO, 1984-2000. The database provides citations, abstracts, and indexing of the international serials literature in political science and its complementary fields, including international relations, law, and public administration/policy. The serials list of the new database is actively under construction, with a focus on expanding international coverage. As of October 2001, approximately 1010 titles are being monitored for coverage; this list is expected to reach 1250 titles by 2002. Coverage 1975-present.
- World Almanac - World Almanac offers a fundamental reference source including biographies, encyclopedia entries, facts, and statistics. There are over 6,000 records and the database covers 1998 to the present. Full Text.
- Sociological Abstracts - Includes indexes and abstracts for articles in sociology and related disciplines in 20,000 journals in 30 different languages. Doctoral dissertations and book reviews are also included. Includes some full text. Coverage is 1963 to the present.
Major Collections in the USA
- University of Seattle, Washington
- University of Oregon
- The Southeast Asia Microform Project (SEAM)
- Southeast Asia Collection, Yale University
- The Southeast Asia Collection at Ohio University
- Southeast Asia at University of California-Berkeley
- The Library of Congress
- John M. Echols Collection: Southeast Asia, Cornell University
- Harvard University, Library Resources
- Center for Research Libraries' Foreign Newspaper Collection
- Arizona State University Libraries
- The Asia Collection, University of Hawaii
Major Collections in the World
- School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
- Monash Library, Australia
- Asian Studies WWW Virtual Library
Research Centers and Associations in the U.S.
- Southeast Asian Studies, Yale
- Southeast Asia Program, Cornell University
- Program for Southeast Asian Studies, Arizona State University
- Portal to Asian Internet Resources
- Pacific University Asian Studies
- The East Asia Center, University of East Virginia
- Committee on Research Materials on Southeast Asia (CORMOSEA)
- Center for Southeast Asian Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Center for Southeast Asian Studies, University of California-Berkeley
- Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Northern Illinois University
- Center for Southeast Asian Studies, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Center for South and Southeast Asian Studies, University of Michigan
- Center for Burma Studies, Northern Illinois University
- Center for Asian and Pacific Studies, University of Oregon
- Association for Asian Studies (AAS)
- Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Ohio University
International Research Centers
- Sydney Centre for Studies in Caodaism
- Nordic Institute of Asian Studies (NIAS)
- Japan Center for Asian Historical Records
- International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS), Leiden, The Netherlands
- Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore
- European Association for Southeast Asian Studies (EUROSEAS)
- Center for Pacific Asia Studies, Stockholm, Sweden
- Asia Research Centre, Murdoch University
- Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
- The Vietnam Center and Archive