- About Us
- Find Materials
- Library Home
State of Illinois Government Publications Collection Development Policy
March 1981; Revised 1992; Revised 1999; Revised 2003
I. Academic Programs Served
The purpose of the Government Publications Collection is to support all levels of research and teaching in the academic community.
II. Clientele Served
The Government Publications Collection supports the information needs of the members of the academic community.
III. General Collection Policy Considerations
A. English language materials are collected.
B. Chronological limits: none
C. Government Publications issued by other state governments (besides Illinois) are generally not collected. This does not preclude such publications being acquired by other library areas.
D. Formats of materials collected:
1. Printed and processed materials
3. Information which appears in the electronic format
Formats of materials excluded:
1. Maps, unless received through the State of Illinois Depository System.
2. Legal materials unless received through the State of Illinois Depository System.
IV. Collecting Levels
A. State of Illinois Government Publications
The Government Publications Department collects State of Illinois government publications. These publications are acquired primarily through the State of Illinois Depository system. Active selection, however, is concerned with both privately-disseminated and agency-disseminated print and non-print material. All State of Illinois government publications are housed in the Government Publications Department.
B. Other State Government Publications
Government Publications of other state governments are collected by the Government Publications Department if these materials meet the reference needs of the department. Other state government publications are acquired by the University Libraries based on the collection development policies of the academic disciplines. This material is cataloged for the main stacks.
Privately disseminated reference tools are acquired if they meet the reference needs of the department.
V. Other Resources
A. At NIU: none
B. Off Campus
1. The Illinois State Library is the main depository for State of Illinois government publications, including maps. This material is available on interlibrary loan.
2. The State of Illinois has a network of State of Illinois government publications depositories.
3. The Center for Research Libraries has collections of all government publications of all fifty states; this collection goes back to the 1950s. The NIU Libraries holds institutional membership in the Center.