NIU OPEN ACCESS PUBLISHING
NIU OPEN ACCESS PUBLISHING FUND
The NIU Open Access Fund seeks to advance the use of open access as a means of distributing the research and creative work of the Northern Illinois University community by providing financial support to cover the fees charged for open access publication. This is currently a pilot project.
NIU grants are available to faculty, including nontenure track faculty, and graduate students. Only one author per article may apply.
Grants are available for open access journals, which are journals that do not charge a fee for institutions, libraries or readers for access to the content, and do not have an embargo period for access. This includes:
- Members of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA)
- All journals in the Directory of Open Access Journals that allow authors to retain distribution rights
- Hybrid journals that allow authors to retain distribution rights. (Hybrid journals are subscription journals that allow authors to make their article open access upon payment of a fee.)
Only those fees associated with open access publishing are eligible for support. Costs for reprints, color illustration fees, non-open access page charges, administrative charges and other fees are not supported.
Articles whose underlying research was funded by grants that allow funds to be used for open access fees are not eligible for funding.
Maximum Support Limits
In order to include as many authors as possible while covering typical costs, the following limits apply to support awards for each author:
- For fully Open Access journals: $2000 per article and per year
- For hybrid journals: $1500 per article and per year or 50% of the Open Access fee, whichever is less.
Disbursement is determined on a first come first served basis, provided all guidelines are met. The NIU Open Access Fund review committee will confirm eligibility.
Submission to NIU Open Access Fund
The NIU Open Access Fund is part of the NIU Libraries' commitment to support open access, which also includes management of the NIU institutional repository, Huskie Commons. Acceptance of open access grants requires submission of the supported article to NIU Huskie Commons within three months of publication. Questions about Huskie Commons, including details about the submission process, can be emailed to Drew VandeCreek.